HOW DID YOUR PRODUCTION SKILLS DEVELOP THROUGHOUT THIS PROJECT?


Development of Skills

Over the course of working on my film opening, I was able to develop my film skills, as well as experiment with new techniques. For example, I used Adobe After Effects to create some of my credits. It was my first time using this program, but after some practice I was able to improve the quality of my film. I also used new technology for the first time, which helped me expand my skillset. I made two top trump cards to show my progress within each skillset side by side.


Codes and Conventions ~ After analyzing multiple Thriller films and their openings, I can confidently identify codes and conventions that are present within the Thriller genre and it's most popular subgenres. Although I had a basic understanding of the Thriller genre from taking GCSE Film Studies, I have now gained the ability to recognize and recreate common iconography, cinematography and storylines. Although my film isn't entirely conventional, I used my understanding of the codes and conventions to make my film unusual while still fitting into the thriller genre. For example, antagonists commonly wear black clothing to make them blend in to the shadows and associate their character with evil. Clementine and I placed our antagonists in colourful, glamourous clothing to contradict this normal image. Using this, we contrasted the imagery of the body and blood with a happy (murderous) couple going for a pleasant picnic. After being introduced to the enigma code, Clementine and I decided to keep our characters anonymous by hiding their faces, to engage the audience more. I conducted in depth research into the Thriller genre  and its sub-genres - which can be found on my blog. I also studied credit sequences, and the order in which the credits appear. I used this research to display my credits in the conventional order to make my film opening appear more realistic.


Camera Work ~ I used this coursework as an opportunity to experiment with different shot types and develop my camera work. I used a gimbal for the first time, and after learning how to balance it and use it effectively, Clementine and I filmed a tracking shot which we used in our film. I also tried using a suction mount, to get capture some footage from the hood of my car. I think my skills have developed as I used a variety of different equipment for the first time which I think improved the quality of my film.



Planning and Organisation ~ I have definitely improved in my planning and organization skills, especially with organizing everything before the day of shooting. On previous projects I often left things to the last minute, and dealt with any problems (such as issues with the location) while shooting. For my coursework, I scheduled location scouting before the shoot, and coordinated with Clementine to work out what props and costumes we wanted. We also staggered the actors arrival times, as our actress was not needed in the kitchen scene and only had to arrive later. This made filming more efficient, and ensured we did not have people who weren't needed on set. Clementine and I both finished our separate edits of the film before the deadline, as we planned ahead of time what we wanted to get done each week.


Visual effects ~ Having had minimal experience with credits, I learnt how to use Adobe After Effects. Due to my experience with Final Cut Pro, I knew how to add text and adjust it slightly, using tilt, rotate and changing the location using the x and y axis. However, I wanted to try something different and learn a new skill. With the support of my classmates and my teacher, I learnt how to use basic tools such as the Rotobrush tool and using layers of footage on After Effects. I also managed to pin text to an a specific point, so that it stayed in one spot despite the camera movement. I found it very challenging, and my first time using the tools it took me a few hours to create one credit within a shot. Once I had practice with the program, I was able to create a second credit in around 20 minutes. Developing a new skill allowed me to add an interesting element to my credits.



Editing ~ I have edited smaller projects before, but this was my first time creating a thriller film and it was a very different experience as editing can change the tone of a film. Clementine and I decided not to use dialogue, making editing extremely important in ensuring the audience understood the narrative of the film opening. It took quite a few drafts until I reached my final edit, because I continued to make small adjustments to the clips throughout the editing process. I also asked some of my friends to watch and give criticism, so I could take their advice on board. Through colour grading, I also tried to create meaning by introducing lots of red imagery to emphasize the violent theme that is introduced when you see a shot of a dead body. This is the first time I have introduced a deeper meaning into my film, and considered editing as a way to add to the final product.


Creative Confidence ~ I often stick to conventional shots, using a tripod to create generic establishing shots, long shots and medium close ups. I have used sliders before to add some movement to my shots, but have not been very confident in implementing more difficult shots. However this time, I tried out new equipment and worked with Clementine to figure out ways to add interest to our film. On top of this, we decided not to include any dialogue and follow slightly unconventional iconography. I experimented with different equipment and practiced collecting footage, and we also had ideas such as using pomegranate to create the impression of blood. In order to get the right effect, Clementine and I microwaved the pomegranate and tried to pop the seeds within by hitting it against the counter, before splitting it open with a knife to prepare it for filming. To step outside the box, we experimented a lot throughout the process of filming our coursework, and I think we ended up with a good result.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE SILENCE OF THE LAMBS

FONTS

TARGET AUDIENCE